HPC's Learning-Docs are electronic, interactive, system descriptions of the various components and systems making up commonly found gas and steam turbine generators. The advantages of the Learning-Doc are:
- Written by equipment experienced personnel and technically reviewed by “experts” in their respective fields.
- Includes graphics that are easy to read and demonstrative of the idea presented in the text.
- Includes highlighted P&IDs (or cross-sectional drawings) that are inter-connected with the text.
- Includes descriptions of common system procedures that are interactive with the highlighted P&IDs.
- Includes alarm response descriptions. For each alarm we describe what may be at risk and why, the probable causes, the immediate actions to be taken, means to validate the alarm, and the source of the alarm.
- Includes descriptions of the common instruments.
In Addition to the Learning Content, HPC's Learning-Docs include:
- “Check-Your-Understanding” questions after each segment to confirm the learners’ understanding of the information presented. These CYU questions are part of the learning tool as they often are directed toward the more important parts of the presented segment.
- “On-the-Job Learning Activities” after many of the segments and upon Learning-Doc completion. The OJLA directs the learner toward referencing his/her documentation, site equipment, and control room instrumentation.
- “Final Examinations” are included in which there are one to two questions asked for each learning objective. The questions are randomly generated from a programmed file and given electronically. HPC requires an 80% for a passing grade and will issue a certificate of completion in PDF format upon completion.